Sunday, February 26, 2012

remnants

broken glass, a chipped mug. I told you the truth, but it was far too late. I missed that opportunity.

late nights, soft hands. I never felt that way before and told no one. I let you go.

you lied to me. I told you I forgave you. I lied….and I left.

you asked if I was dating anyone. I told you I wasn’t. you paused. you knew. I changed the subject. You told me you loved me anyway.

you kissed my cheek and asked if I was ok. I faked a smile. I still don’t know if you believed me.

i told you it was over. you took me at my word. you asked if we could make things work. I cried the hardest I’d ever cried with anyone. We haven’t really talked since.

you wrote, “am I really that frightening?” I never wrote back.

we were too much alike.

sometimes the silence was too loud.

these are the remnants of the ones I loved; the ones I still do; the ones I always will; the ones I never will again. I think about them sometimes, but today, I think mostly of you.

traces of juice in your glass; leftover crumbs on a plate. so much to say, but my words held no meaning. I missed that opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment